Thursday, August 14, 2008

Land of confusion

So I'm reading this stuff about the Russia/Georgia conflict this morning and a shiver runs up my spine, remembering what it was like to grow up in the 80's when "Nuclear Winter" was a regular part of my ten year old vocabulary.

I would sit in the backseat of my parents' car on family trips and make under-the-table deals with God, promising I would stop picking my nose and being mean to my sister if only He would please please let me grow up. I spent sleepless nights obsessing over "The Day After" and almost got hit by a car once walking to school, because my eyes were constantly scanning the flat Long Island horizon for mushroom clouds.

So, yay! I grew up! And America is now safely in the hands of a competent, level-headed leader who would never, ever hit the wrong button and blow up the planet accidentally.

Whew for that.

Wait, what?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss DC Follies.

Krissyface said...

I miss Ronald Reagan.

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

I have to admit, President Reagan (and those about him) did navigate us through the eye of the needle.

President Bush is a petulant vulgar child in the shadow of Reagan's legacy, smearing filth on his tombstone.

Anonymous said...

I miss Phil Hartman.

Reagan did some bad shit, though.

Krissyface said...

I miss Bernie Mac.

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

We're all alive to complain about the bad shit that Reagan did.

Both Bushes and Clinton squandered the opportunities that Reagan gave them by forcing the Soviet Union in to receivership. Think about that. He saved the world by forcing the great totalitarian threat to spend what it could not afford.

I'm sorry, President Reagan is one of my personal heroes.

Krissyface said...

no need for apology, scooter. Who am I to dis the guy who invented Reaganomics? And what did I ever do? I mean, really.

Anonymous said...

No offense intended here, Scooter, sorry.